Memorial House of Mother Teresa

Agnes Gondzha Bojaxhiu was born on 26 of August, 1910 in Skopje, Republic of Macedonia (then part of the Ottoman Empire) in the family of Nichola and Drana Boaxhiu as the youngest one of three children. Her father was a famous trader and member of the City Council of Skopje as the only Catholic member. Bojaxhiu family house was open to all, especially to the poorest. On August 27, 1910 she was baptised in the Catholic Church "Sacred Heart of Jesus," and took this date for her birthday. At five and a half years of age received her First Communion. In 1919 Nikola Bojaxhiu died and then her family suffered a financial difficulties.
The letters of the missionaries from India that have been read between young girls in the Girls Christian Society in the Catholic Church, left strong impression on her and at the age of twelve she had her first call of God.

The desire to pay respect to one the most famous person and Nobel Prize winner from Macedonia was accomplished on the 30-th of January 2009 with the opening of the Memorial house dedicated to Mother Teresa.
The Memorial house of Mother Teresa is non profit organization financed by the Government of Republic of Macedonia.
The Location of the museum is not randomly chosen. That is to say, on this exact place the old Catholic Church “Sacred heart of Jesus” used to stand. It is where Mother Teresa, then Gonxha Bojaxhiu was baptized just one day after her birth, on the 27th of august 1910, place where she received her first communion and where she find her inner peace after her father’s death.This place had a great importance and influence on developing of the character of young Gonxha and to her desire to help the poor people.
Since she was a child she sang in the Catholic Church choir and participated in charity organizations. Somehow the location itself represents a symbolic bridge that connects little Gonxha to one of the greatest humanitarian of the world, Mother Teresa
.